In the Ribbon bar under Check drive, you have the possibility to check the drive for errors. You can find the corresponding report as usual under Schedule the tab Reports. Checking the drives corresponds with the Windows chkdsk function, yet, it only can run scans in the read-only mode, and thus cannot correct errors. In case of error, you need to run the chkdsk command manually.
It is strongly recommended to thoroughly check a drive if an error is detected. More information can be found in the Windows Help file.
You can cancel the check by clicking on stop in the Ribbon.
With the O&O ClusterInspector, O&O Defrag gives you a convenient tool for checking how the hard disk is being used.
- Access the O&O ClusterInspector by double-clicking on a block in the ClusterView. The O&O ClusterInspector will then show you the files located on the block.
- About 50 file entries will be displayed by default. To show the following files, click the arrows to control the currently selected hard disk section.
|Start cluster||Start of the currently displayed file section on the hard disk|
|Cluster number||Specifies, how many clusters are used by this file in this block|
|Fragments||Number of areas in which this file is divided. A fragment number higher than 1 means that the file is fragmented.|
|Size||Specifies how much physical area space the file occupies on the data volume.|
|File||Absolute path of the file|
Display file position (Details)
Through Details of a file, you will find out, where the individual fragments of the file are located on the hard disk and to
what degree they are fragmented.
1. To find out more on the selected file click on Details.
2. All corresponding file fragments are listed with a cluster number and their size. All clusters used by a file are highlighted in the ClusterView. You will be able to find out the degree to which the scanned file is fragmented, as well as where it is located on the hard disk.
Determine file position
If you want to find out where and how a certain file is located, click Determine file position in the Ribbon and select a file in the following dialogue. All areas occupied by this file will then be displayed by the ClusterView.
Wipe free space
Protecting your privacy. O&O Defrag can also be used to securely and permanently delete free space on your hard disks. This prevents identity theft and theft of your confidential files and documents because deleting files under Windows leaves traces of data still on the disks. By deleting them securely you stop them ever falling into the wrong hands. Simply delete confidential files automatically after a disk defragmentation run!
Work within the network
Note:This feature is only valid for O&O Defrag Server Edition and O&O Defrag Professional Edition.
The network function serves to control O&O Defrag from another computer in the network. You can establish a connection to a desired computer and on it, you can remotely execute all the same program functions you have on your local O&O Defrag.
For this feature to work, O&O Defrag has to be already installed on the target computer. You also have to open port 50300 of your firewall of the target system. Please consult the manual of your firewall for further information.
- Access the network connection dialogue over the Ribbon Bar with Connect to computer.
- Now you will be able to connect to a remote computer.
By default, you can only remote control O&O Defrag on computers where your user account is member of the Local Administrators group.If you would like to grant all users from the same network unrestricted remote access to O&O Defrag, please activate the option Enable remote administration from same networkin the "O&O Defrag Settings".