The following are examples for quickly solving problems by using the programs in O&O BlueCon.
A user forgot his system password. He cannot remember it at all. You being the Administrator are asked to help.
- 1. Start O&O BlueCon.
- 2. Open the O&O UserManager under Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/UserManager.
- 3. Click on the icon User accounts.
- 4. Select the user who forgot his password from the list.
- 5. Click Change password and follow the directions in the dialogue window.
- 6. End BlueCon and restart your computer. After boot up, the user can login with a new password.
If you want to change passwords with O&O BlueCon, you won't have access to encrypted files. Coding cannot be decrypted after the password changed!
O&O UserManager can only manage local user accounts. No changes can be made to a domain controller.
Access data from a computer that can no longer boot
You need data from your computer but it is no longer able to boot. Before experimenting with system rescue attempts, you can copy the most important data from your hard disk onto an external disk (e.g. USB stick or USB hard disk) using the O&O FileExplorer.
- 1. Connect an external storage medium such as a USB stick or hard disk to your computer.
- 2. Start the O&O BlueCon CD and open the O&O FileExplorer it via Start/Programs.
- 3. Scan the hard disk for files and folders.
- 4. Copy the files on the external storage media.
System crashes after updates
You installed a new Windows update. Your system crashes immediately or is no longer able to start.
Completely delete data
If you sell, give away, or discard your computer, it is very easy for your personal or business data to fall into the wrong hands. Windows does not completely delete data. Even formatting a hard disk is not enough to delete your data. You don't have access to it right away, but unauthorized access is still possible using special reconstructing software.
O&O SafeErase deletes your data using processes which are recommended by the US Department of Defence or the Federal Office for Information Security of Germany.
- 1. Start O&O BlueCon.
- 2. Open Start/Programs/Data security/O&O SafeErase.
- 3. Select the desired activity in the O&O-SafeErase Assistant and follow the directions of the dialogue window.
Please bear in mind that data deleted with O&O SafeErase cannot be restored! Please make sure that before you delete anything, that you really would like to delete the data or that you have saved a back-up copy in another location (security copy).
Detailed information to the secure deletion of data is available in the program Help of O&O SafeErase.
Reconstruct deleted data
A user deleted important files or folders by accident. In addition, he even emptied the Recycle bin. Since he really needs the data, it needs to be restored quickly.
- 1. Start O&O BlueCon.
- 2. Start O&O DiskRecovery under Start/Programs/File Recovery/O&O DiskRecovery.
- 3. Click Next in the data recovery dialog to reach the selection of drives.
- 4. Now select the drive where you want to restore data. If you are not sure, select all drives.
- 5. Confirm the default settings for the data rescue on the next page. Afterwards, you can start your data rescue.
- 6. Select the files you want to restore from the folder and details list. To be totally sure, you can also select all. The preview function lets you see the contents of certain file types (Graphics/Images).This function is enabled with Preview.
- 7. You will then get to the selection of the target folder of the restoration. Please make sure that the target folder is not located on one of the drives where recovery is taking place.
- 8. In the next step the files will be restored. After this is complete, you will be able to view a status report of all actions taken up to this point. You can now end O&O DiskRecovery and navigate to the target folder with your rescued data.
Please make sure you have enough disk space for the recovered data.
More detailed information about data recovery can be found in the O&O DiskRecovery Help.
Change system partitions
If your hard disk is only divided into one partition, you can assume to find your system files as well as your private data on it. If you want to create a system and a data partition, you must start O&O PartitionManager directly from the Start CD. Shrink the partition to the minimal size (based on the amount of data), and use the area that’s now free to create the desired number of partitions. Please follow the steps below:
- 1. Start O&O PartitionManager under Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/O&O PartitionManager.
- 2. Right-click the selected system partition and then click Change location and size. In the dialogue box, go to Partition size and set the minimal size. The space you now have available will be subsequently displayed in the view of the disk.
- 3. Generate a New partition by right-clicking on the free area.
- 4. If you want more subdivisions, then set the parameters for size in a way that there will still be space for additional partitions. In the dialogue you’ll also be able to perform additional functions such as assigning drive letters or the type of drive.
- 5. You will then be able to create the next partition in the same way. The new partition will be created after you’ve confirmed your selections.
If the application is unsuccessful, there is a risk that your data will be either partially or fully lost. That’s why you should backup all the original partition’s data onto a removable medium or another partition.
You can mark the new primary partition as active by right-clicking. This setting is important if you have or want to install one or more operating systems on this hard disk. The setting specifies that the bootloader of the operating system is written on this partition, and that it should be started from there. If you have several operating systems installed on one hard disk, the operating system which was installed last will always start. Only one "active" primary partition can exist on one hard disk. If you are not sure please do not make any changes and keep the default settings.